12.01.2008

Big Day on Dialysis

I don't talk about dialysis much, well, because it sucks. That being said, it is does keep me alive so that is cool. After 8 weeks, my access finally matured enough and today was they day the nurse stuck it. I have been dreading these huge dialysis needles for over 2 years now. I did have Lidocaine needles first. All the dialysis people made fun of me in a good spirited peer pressure way to not use the Lidocaine, why get stuck 4 times instead of two? It was worth it, the needle are so huge to accommodate that large blood flow and very long too. I have to watch it come out so I can put pressure on the site and hold it for 10 minutes. This is part of the new routine. The catheter comes out next week and although this is an adjustment, it is much safer. So as I was leaving, my dialysis neighbor Kathy said...."Welcome to the big needle club!". No one may get this post, but having it go so smoothly was cause for a celebration. Ben and I went out for gyros and then I had a nice long chat with Audrey and Jules in Seattle(sure do miss those gals!).
Pella girl, just cause.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Dea - was this before or after i saw you in your cub' looking comfy? :) no wonder you looked so happy.. if i saw this earlier i would have baked you a funfetti cake for tomorrow!! see you soon and glad the day went well.

heather said...

Dea - I can totally relate to the love of Lidocaine needles; I've requested many. =) I'm happy to hear you won't be needing them. Know you're on my mind often. Hi to Ben. Take care of you. xo

Lisa Kiwi said...

Dea baby! Yay! I don't *totally* get it, but I get it enough to see that you look very well and are smiling and this is cause enough for celebration!
Hugs and love...sure do miss you
xoxoxox

NSRoberts said...

Yo Dea! (Hey Ben!) - Greetings from your ol' pals enjoying life in San Francisco. We've been living here in the City by the Bay for the last 4 years and loving it. We think of you often as our picture from Ben's "One Man and a Pan" days is hanging in a frame over our coffee pot! Sending positive ju-ju to you Dea for good health. Perhaps some day our paths will cross again.
Love Michele and Nina