2.18.2010

Litte Su 50K and the 100 mile Susitna race

We drove 5 hours south down to the Susitna 100 mile ski, bike or run race on remote Alaska rivers and lakes. I did the sister race the Little Su 50k (32 miles) by skate skiing. We started 2 hours after the "big" race and went on a similar trail out near Flat Horn lake check point and turned around for the 50 K. We skied back on the same course as the 100 mile race's last leg. I had a great day and all of the long cabin trip skis getting by butt kicked my really fast friends paid off. I ended up 6th for in the women ski division in 6.5hrs. I then supported the 100mile race and waited for Robin, Kevin, Lisa and Chris to finish.
It was my first 50k ski race so I took along my camera and snaps a few shots when I was getting out a GU to eat. There was miles of brushy narrow trails and a few steep short climbs, but this part of the race was flat making for a beautiful day with temps in the 30'sF.

Robin and Lisa just minutes before the start of the 100mile race.

Robin, Lisa and Kevin at the start line. Kevin (2nd) was the first to finish of our crew and I totally missed it while in the general store.

Robin finished in just over 15 hours around 1:30am for a 100 mile ski. She was the 1st women in and 6th overall in the race.

Lisa(3rd) and Chris(6th) finished strong later that morning. This race is really impressive and I don't think I could do it. In addition they carry mandatory packs with a -20F sleeping bag and bivy. All three of them are doing the Whitemountains100.org race in a few weeks and I will be at the Windy Gap checkpoint for that race.

2 comments:

Julie said...

very awesome!! i have been waiting for this write up, wanting to hear about your experience. the picture of the flat open part brings back some memories. :) great job! and see ya at windy gap :-D

Dr. Cookie said...

Nice photos! The one of you must have been at the finish. Can't believe you stayed up all night after that to take care of us -- it was so nice to finish and see you there. You will get suckered into racing the 100 at some point whether you plan to or not! Can't wait to see you at Windy Gap.
--Robin