7.29.2005

Chitna Salmon Fishin'

Well, we just ate some of the salmon I caught on the trip. It was an amazing trip with two incredible girls. Julie was the experienced fisherwoman, after 4 wheeling down a closed road with most incredible views I have seen yet, we climbed down a steep edge to dip net. Julie and Stacia, showed me how to kill and gut my salmon. We had such a great time, these pictures are only part of the adventure. We barely slept, saw a huge grizzly eating salmon on the other side of the river (they, seasoned alaskan women, barely glanced and my camera broke by this point!), and fished an incredible locals only dip netting spot on the Copper River.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Julie, Stacia and Ellie. Ellie and her husband live way out of down near Delta on 30 acres, have some goats and tons of fishing gear. We stopped by to borrow dip nets and life jackets. Thanks!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Some of the Wrangell Mtns on the road to the closed road we fished on.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com This warning sign, if you can read it, should speak for itself about how crazy this road was....

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Getting ready to descend to the river, I love hip waders and I can't wait to buy some!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Not sure if you can tell, but this is from the bottom at the river looking up to where we just climbed down.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Fishing was harder than I thought, the dip nets where huge and the current was fast. We fished all night, slept a few hours and fished the next day.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Julie showing me how to filet one of the 12 salmon, she caught most of them.

No comments: