12.20.2009

Chicago, eating sledzie and jarobie uszki

I was at AGU in San Francisco for a week and decided at the very last minute to fly to Chicago for the weekend before my regular every other week Mayo visit. We headed out to the North Ave shops and met up with my brother Jeff and his finance Jen.

Later that night, we drove to New Buffalo Michigan to visit my brother Tim and his girlfriend Jill. We ate at the usual Skips and then went down to the beach for a huge snowball fight. It was such a fun time and we all laughed a ton. I even took a video of the event, but you can not see much in the dark. Jeff, Tim and I raced to the lake and back...Jeff won. Jen's sister Beth threw a crazy snow curve ball. I am the dork with my new backpack on.

Sunday we went to Babcia's house to make uszka. Babcia made the dough and mushroom filling before we arrived. Here is my mom rolling the dough.

Moja robzinia uszka. Babcia ma doswiatezenie jarobicz uszka. My grandma passes along the tradition of making the uszka for the borscht. I am making borscht in Alaska for a Christmas eve for a group of friends, but I may have to buy mushroom tortalleni instead of homemade uszka.
We then boiled the uszka for 5 minutes and cooled.
The final uszka ready for the soup that will be cooked this week. The cooking takes days and it is all for Christmas eve.

No comments: