12.11.2009

White Mountains- Richard's Cabin

The is Richard's cabin in the now famous White Mountains from all the publicity from Ed and Ann's White 100 mile race that was out on AP from Washington to NC. We skied in at night 21 miles one way on a unknown trail and I still have a cast on my broken wrist! Kristen and I skied in together and it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be, but of course super fun.

Kristen and I started skiing in at 2pm up the 5 mile climb from the McKay Creek trail head off the Steese. It was dark in about an hour and the rest of the long evening was dark. I am glad I have my new 3/4 metal edge waxable backcountry skis, the trail was steeper then we thought & we had some fun descents on skinny skiis.

Ed, Dan and Lisa skied in later that night. This is Dan the next day on the ski out. He brought Sky in and I was so thankful to have a skijor dog for the ski out.

Sky pulled like a champ. I stopped to take a self portrait and give her a ham sandwich.

We all went out to Chatanika Lodge on the drive home. Richard's cabin landscape is diverse with overflow on Champion Creek and old growth spruce trees, a real treat in the Whites.

No comments: